6.4.11

Twentysome pages in ten days or less

DS:

Every sky is sunny and blue outside the window of a 747 at cruising altitude, but then we dipped down into clouds that darkened as we dove and then gave way to the green and grey of Portland on its mercury river -- well, San Fran is as mighty and fine a city as you’ll ever see, but for better or worse, the place my brain recognizes as home has shunted decidedly north.

There are two chapters of AVERY in the can, each the length of a standard comic book issue. Today, I started production on the third -- figuring out roughly how the story breaks down by page count, checking my scrap file for any viable bits of dialogue, and drinking quite a bit of black coffee. My ambition -- nay, my plan -- is to have a solid draft done by Stumptown, on the 16th of this month. Ten days. No sweat. And, if only to keep myself honest, I’ll be logging my progress on this blog. Exactly what form this log blogging will take, I’m not quite sure. A daily tally of completed pages? A posting of especially juicy excerpts? Just as long as it’s not a bunch of IOU’s, I’ll count it a win. Of course, the real win would be seeing the thing finished. I don’t write for the hell of it, man, I’m working for the weekend. Just like everyone else, I am reliably informed.

So, day one. Everything’s planned. There’s a one-page scene from the scrap file I’m going to use as page four. Ten days to go and I’m off to a good start, as I reckon things.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment